Recovery Housing

Recovery Housing AVAILABLE NOW!

For students who are in recovery from a substance use disorder, this on-campus housing option offers a safe and supportive living environment where students can have a real college experience without the use of alcohol or drugs. Recovery housing offers the opportunity to form meaningful relationships based on sobriety, friendship, and academic success. Recovery housing offers live-in peer support, 24-hour access to the Collegiate Recovery Lounge, academic resources, and organized activities. Students must be a member of MSU's Collegiate Recovery Community to be eligible for MSU Recovery Housing.

If you are interested in living in on-campus Recovery Housing at Michigan State University, please fill out the application at the following link:

Apply for Recovery Housing

You will be contacted for either a phone or in-person interview.

  • Frequently Asked Questions About Collegiate Recovery Housing

    Download a PDF file of the Recovery Housing FAQ

    Q: Where is Recovery Housing located?

    A: Recovery Housing is located in Mason Hall in North Neighborhood. Mason Hall is a traditional, ivy-covered, collegiate Gothic-style building with beautiful wood ornamentation and decorative plaster walls. Designated Recovery Housing rooms are located on Substance Free floors within Mason Hall.

    Q: What room options and features are available?

    A: Mason Hall has a traditional style single and double occupancy rooms with community-style bathrooms. Rooms are furnished with modular elevated beds, cable TV and high-speed internet on designated male and female floors. Mason Hall also features a community kitchen, free laundry, study rooms, computer labs, music practice rooms, game rooms, and an ATM.

    Q: What is the cost of living in Recovery Housing?

    A: Rooms are priced at the standard university room rate. There are no additional costs to live in Recovery Housing. 

    Q: Who is eligible for Recovery Housing?

    A: Any student who identifies as being in recovery from a substance use disorder and who is abstinent from all drugs and alcohol. Students must complete an application and be an active member of the Collegiate Recovery Community to be eligible for Recovery Housing. 

    Q: Can I choose my roommate?

    A: Roommates must be members of the CRC. Roommate assignments are determined by CRC staff and are based upon student preference and roommate matching.

    Q: What staff supports do students receive while living in Recovery Housing?

    A: Students living in Recovery Housing receive support from a resident assistant (RA), intercultural aid and a live-in certified peer recovery specialist.

    Q: Where are the CRC meetings held in proximity to Recovery Housing?

    A: The CRC and Spartans' Organization for All Recovery (Registered Student Organization for students in recovery) meetings are each held weekly in the CRC Lounge, located in the Student Services Building Room 27E, which is just a 3-minute walk from Mason Hall!

    Q: Is there an application process?

    A: To live in Recovery Housing students must first apply to become a member of the CRC. To become a member, students need to complete a brief application. Within the CRC member application, the student will be asked to select their living preferences. Once the CRC application is submitted, CRC staff will assign housing.

    Q: How will Recovery Housing support my recovery?

    A: Recovery housing will provide a safe, structured and sober space for students to live on-campus while pursuing their academic goals. With this support, CRC students have excelled academically, achieving an average overall GPA of a 3.5.¹ Students are able to observe and model effective ways to manage environmental risk on campus through a strong sense of community, shared experiences and values.

    Q: Where do I go if I have other questions about Recovery Housing or the CRC?

    Contact CRC Coordinator Dawn Kepler by phone at 517-353-5564 or email You can also find us on Facebook at